It will be three years this summer, since I first started API Evangelist. I was looking to evolve my career, and I knew APIs was the space I wanted to focus on. Then in July 2010 I started analyzing the top 250+ APIs, quickly identifying that there were very few people focusing on the Business of APIs--I smelled an opportunity.
Three years later I am still very focused on the Business of APIs and the study of API Evangelism, but I see another area that needs tracking on as well, the Politics of APIs. There is a lot of overlap with the Business of APIs, but I will be paying more attention to:
- Developers - Developers are one of the most important ingredients in a successful API as well as healthy API industry across all sectors.
- Access - Make sure we understand distinctions between private, public and “open” APIs, and public and open APIs remain as accessible as possible.
- Copyright - Identify and combat attempts to copyright API interfaces.
- Regulation - Understand the government role in the API economy, and the legal issues around APIs.
In 3 years of studying the Business of APIs I see a need for more discussion around developers, their access to APIs and the legal aspects of deploying and consuming APIs. Similar to how I started API Evangelist, I'm picking a target to study--instead of the top 250+ APIs, I'm looking at the top 5 API providers:
API Evangelist started out as a research blog, and this is what API Voice is--a real-time curation and research platform for me to better understand the politics of the increasingly API driven world around us.
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Answer To Why You Should Not Use Services Like Quora That Do Not Offer API And Data Portability
- Adding API Rating Agency To Discovery Stack
- Politics of APIs
- Giving Thanks To The Open Source Software Gods
- Essential Variable in Big Data Algorithm: Transparency
- What Is Your API Content Licensing Default?
- Quickest Way To Boost Number Of API Acccounts
- Are Your API Security Practices In Better Shape Than The Snapchat API?
- API Terms of Service Wizard From Swedish API License